Actun Tunichil Muknal is a mysterious and beautiful portal to the ancient Maya and their traditions, ceremonies and spirituality. This cave system served as a ceremonial site where the Maya performed sacrifices and other ceremonies as they dealt with extreme and harsh conditions in times of drought.
Explore this lush area surrounded by beautiful jungles, and the cave entrance is traversed by swimming across a crystal clear spring fed pool. Spend 3 hours in the cave after hiking in through the rain forest. Here you will see stunning artifacts, altars and the crystallized skeletons of the sacrificed girl, The Crystal Maiden.
Inclusions & Exclusions
✔ Rum punch
✔ Includes transportation to and from our office in San Ignacio
✔ Explore the cave with an expert, specially licensed guide
✔ All necessary equipment
✔ 3-hour walking tour of cave system
✔ Lunch with a drink
✖ Hotel pickup and drop-off only if requested
• Infants are required to sit on an adult’s lap
• Not recommended for travelers with spinal injuries
• Not recommended for pregnant travelers
• Travelers should have at least a moderate level of physical fitness
• Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
• Cancellations only due to severe rain or flooding
• Guests must wear appropriate (Closed toe) shoes for walking through jungle and water
• Guests must bring a pair of socks for the dry chamber in the cave
• Minimum height requirement is 40inches
• Vegetarian meal option available upon request
• Bring along a change of dry clothes to be worn after the tour. This is a wet tour.
• Clothes to be worn for the tour needs to be modest to respect the cave.
• Eco friendly bug repellent is optional (Apply only if needed)
• No cameras/ electronics are allowed on the hike and/or on in the cave.
• Bring along a water bottle. We will have water available to refill your bottles.
• Have a good breakfast before the tour. Lunch will be late.